Flying into Miami last Wednesday was like coming out of a three month coma. After a winter consumed by work and school applications, nothing could seem quite as rejuvenating as laying on the beach with my mom and sister. It's amazing what a few days of sun can do for a girl! The first full day here was sunny but a bit too blustery to lay out, so after a delicious hotel brunch we took to the streets of South Beach to see what kind of damage we could inflict on our bank accounts. Of course I immediately spotted the two story ULTA and couldn't resist a peak inside. Having forgot to pack my cleanser I figured it was the perfect excuse to try some new samples - and I was not disappointed. Read on for a full review of the products I plan to incorporate into my beauty regimen as the warmer months approach.
1. Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream I know BB creams have been having a moment for quite a while, but I never jumped on the wagon until now. Blame it on my resistance to try new skincare products when my current routine works so well (I am of the school that preaches you shouldn't fix it if it ain't broken), but the hot weather here got my feeling like I'd rather not slather on the moisturizer and foundation when one product would do the trick. I picked up a sample of the Smashbox BB cream in Light/Medium and after one use I'll say I'm never looking back - at least not while summer is around the corner. This product is seriously amazing, quadrupling as a primer, moisturizer, SPF, and lightweight foundation all wrapped up in a neat little travel-sized package. I apply a pea-sized amount to the tip of my finger and dab on all points of the face: cheeks, chin, nose, forehead, and then blend. The result is instant - a glowy, light, even coverage that blends seamlessly and hides any imperfections while letting my natural skin shine through. The finish is somewhat velvety meaning it would work well on all skin types - its not too shiny nor too matte. All in all a true winner.
2. LORAC Tantalizer Body Bronzing Illuminator After months of hibernating under thick sweaters and corduroys, I can't pretend my skin was bikini ready for this beach weekend reprieve. But thanks to the scientists behind self-tanner, My fears of inadvertently blinding someone or offending the whole of Miami beach by my translucent pallor were assuaged. Apply this as you would a body lotion after showering for an instant bronzed effect, and people will think you've been yachting around the South of France all winter. But do be sure to wash your hands afterwards, lest you give away the secret!
3. Benefit Boing & Lemonaid Combination Kit This season is all about flawless skin, but that doesn't mean you have to pile on a thousand products to achieve perfect skin. Half under-eye concealer, half blemish and spot corrector, this handy little compact packs a big punch, and for $12 it's a product not to be missed. I use the lighter more yellow-based concealer (aptly named "Lemon-aid") under my eyes to brighten and get rid of any dark shadows, and then mix with Boing's peachy tone to do pin-point concealing around my face to erase any spots my BB cream didn't cover.
4. BECCA Beach Tint for Lips and Cheeks This product has actually been in my kit for a while, but I think it is the perfect compliment to the "keep it simple" summer makeup I'm looking forward to wearing in the coming months. Formulated in a cream, water-based consistency, Becca's Beach Tint is highly pigmented and leaves a lovely flush of color when applied to the skin. I start by rubbing a tiny amount over my lips with my ring finger, and then use what's left to tap onto the cheeks and blend. A little goes a long way with this so be sure not to overdo it! If you feel like you've got too much on, use your foundation brush over the beach tint to downplay the color until there's just a hint of rosy glow.
5. Maybelline The Falsies Mascara in Blackest Black I love this mascara, and for days spent outside in the sun there is no need to apply anything else. The brush is curved slightly for an application that curls while it lengthens, and the formula glides on easily to thicken the lashes without clumping. A few coats of this product on the top and bottom lashes will instantly open the eyes and darken the lash line, giving you a wide-awake yet sultry summer finish that is as alluring as it is chic.
6. Butter London Lips & Tips in Trout Pout There is something sophisticated about matching one's manicure to one's mouth, and Butter London's cheeky duo set makes it an impossible trend to resist. I raved about the colors offered in their Winter collection, and this spring is no different. Flirty and fun, I picked up a bright Barbie pink one that I am especially loving right now - but I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be adding more from this range to my collection soon.
That about covers it for my Spring/Summer favorites right now - I hope it was useful! What products are you loving this season? Let me know in the comments!
Me, sporting the goods described above